First Facebook, now Apple has announced this morning that their computer systems have been hacked. Just this week, Google flagged our own site saying that it too may be compromised or infected with malware. (The issue has been resolved.) If you have received a notification that your site is possibly infected…or if you are just concerned about its security, here are some tips:
- Run a scan of your site using Sucuri SiteCheck (free)
- Install a security plugin on your WordPress site such as the one that comes with a Sucuri account or BulletProof Security
- Consider establishing an account with Sucuri to have any malware removed ($90/year)
- Use strong, unique passwords that do not include common words, but do include numbers, capitals and special characters.
- If your site is labeled by Google with the “This site may be compromised” flag, follow the instruction in the article: How to Remove This Site May be Compromised Warning from wpsite.net.